Clayco Safe – Setting a New Standard
Founder Bob Clark has a personal passion for unmatched safety and has created a culture where we place safety as the most important deliverable on any project.
We take a proactive approach to safety management to provide our clients with projects that go incident free. Our own branded safety program, Clayco Safe, empowers all personnel on any job site to identify and correct hazards/at risk behaviors, reinforce safety compliance and execute the highest standard of safety procedures and practices.
At Clayco safety is not only important on the job but off the job as well. The Clayco safety motto of “Clayco Safe We Live By It” is one way we communicate that safety is 24/7STRETCH & FLEX PROGRAM:
The goal of a company-sponsored, stretching program is to provide work-specific stretches to help our employees increase their overall flexibility and range-of-motion. These stretches will lengthen the muscle tissue making the muscles less prone to trauma, tears, and other types of injuries. A stretching program will also help muscles and tendons recover more quickly from job fatigue. It is a good idea to stretch before work activity, both at the beginning of a shift and after lunch breaks, at a minimum.Clayco understands the need to recognize those working safely in the field.
Several methods of recognition are possible on a Clayco project, however, one of the key events is our annual Field Recognition safety event. All field workers are invited to attend a dinner and opportunity to receive some nice prizes. This event is held to show appreciation for the focus on safety all have made over the past year.
BEST-IN-CLASS SAFETY PROGRAM
As a result, our Experience Modification Rate, a rating system used by insurers to gauge risk of on-site injury, and our Total Injury Rate have beaten industry averages for the past nine years. We are continually improving our processes to enhance our zero injury culture preventing incidents through an organized safety and risk management approach that employs the following:
- Commitment from all levels that “No job is so important it cannot be done safely”
- A vision that ZERO injuries is possible, with an emphasis on proactive measures
- Web based subcontractor prequalification selection process which includes a detailed safety review
- Creation of site specific safety plans to address the risks of each project
- Clayco specific safety orientation required for everyone working on the job site
- Emphasis on the “Ten Absolutes of Safety”
- Daily pre-task safety planning process for all crews
- Robust communication and awareness processes if an incident occurs (Safety Alert and root cause analysis within 48 hours)
- A monthly safety metrics dashboard creating accountability at all levels
- Recognition for achieving significant safety milestones and injury free days/hours (Zero Heroes)
- Weekly documented high quality job site safety inspections conducted by all levels of the organization
- Highly skilled and experienced safety professionals on staff to provide job site safety coordination
- Safety education and training goals for all Clayco employees
- Substance abuse testing programs for all employees
- O.S.E.L.T. (Organizational Safety and Excellence Leadership Team) comprised of all levels of management, from executive to field, with the common goal of safety excellence.
10 ABSOLUTES OF SAFETY
- Always wear personal protective equipment as required (i.e. hard hat, gloves, safety eye-wear)
- 100% fall protection is required on unguarded areas 6′ or higher
- Never enter a trench/hole unless properly shored/benched
- Always use proper technique when lifting heavy objects (bend at knees)
- Know your emergency procedures – contacts, routes, safe areas
- Verify all energy sources are at ZERO before working on equipment
- Complete a pre-task review before working – hazards and controls
- Never operate equipment outside of manufacture’s recommendations
- Always report NEAR MISS incidents and all injuries as soon as possible
- Always wear high visibility shirt/vest
commitment to safety
Clayco and various subcontractors team up to partner with the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) on various projects. The goal is to develop and promote safety programs and worker safety performance measures that go above and beyond construction industry standards. Clayco has had partnerships on BJC - Missouri Baptist Hospital, St. Louis University Chaiftez Arena, St. Louis University Medical Research Building and The Casino Queen. In addition, Clayco is in the final stages of potentially becoming a member of the elite group of companies included in the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program.
Clayco and various subcontractors team up to partner with the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) on various projects. The goal is to develop and promote safety programs and worker safety performance measures that go above and beyond construction industry standards.